NOKIA Software Updater
Finally, succesfully update my phone’s firmware to v50.0.005. Maybe it’s not a new news that Nokia 5800 XpressMusic has firmware update to v50.0.005. But because I’m using the HK (Hongkong) region, I think that 2-3 days ago I’ve just got the update.
As you should know, when Nokia releases an update, not all region will get the update at the same day. Unfortunately for HK region phone, it always get the last turn, so annoying. Actually there is a way to change region to get the latest firmware update if your current region hasn’t got the update yet. But I don’t really like it since it’s not officially approved by Nokia. The other thing that you should know is that each region maybe will get a different features update.
To do the update, as usual you can do it via OTA (Over The Air) by pressing *#0000# and select update. Or you can do it with NSU (Nokia Software Updater), using this way you should download the latest update of NSU first, connect your phone to PC with PC Suite connection mode, then just follow the NSU wizard. Make sure to have full battery power and change the profile to anything except Offline before updating.
Okay, enough for the talk, let’s give you the review. Let’s start with the changelog.
- Kinetic Scrolling in the Application Menu
- Improved Music player Interface simialr to Nokia N97. Displays album art mini view in all songs and album sections.
- Hide option in music player in place of exit
- New One Touch Dialling and call settings options in dialler
- Music player refreshes fast
- Improved Camera Quality
- Ovi sync application added
- Nokia Default Browser Updated to v7.2
- Option for history list in web browser
- Option to send webpage via message blutooth in webbrowser
- Kinetic scrolling in webbrowser
- Enable Side lock Key functionality during Swipe UI (Calendar/Clock)
- Windows 7 Device Stage Support
- OVI store 1.5.6
- OVI contacts 1.50.8
As you can see from the list, the HK region only gets the key feature update. Comparing it with the others, there’s no Rihana service launcer, no Gimlet Touch, Cherry and also QuickOffice installed. Ough, I really feel disappointed with the absence of QuickOffice in HK firmware.
The one that I really like here is that there’s kinetic scrolling support on the application menu. I’m sure that all Tubers will think so too, since in the last firmware update, v40.0.005, this feature has not been there yet. Really strange, kinetic scrolling everywhere except in the application menu. You can only scroll the menu by dragging the scrollbar on the right. It was so small and sometimes makes me frustrated. But thank you Nokia, you’ll fix that in this current release. Can’t wait to get the next update. v60.0.005 maybe? I hope in the next firmware update, there’s accelerometer support on the homescreen, just like the one in N97.